SEO checklist for your game’s landing page
The best SEO strategies help you to increase organic traffic and rankings in search engines.
First of all, you should always keep in touch that your website is designed for humans who use search engines.
Meaning, you have to optimize your content by already knowing what words and phrases your audience is searching for.
Ptah helps you to optimize landing page perfectly. It’s the essential part that increases traffic to your web page. We recommend using Ptah Settings to adjust SEO parameters of your landing page.
Here’s the checklist to get you started:
For web page URLs:
- Choose the right domain name for your page
- Set up the secure protocol HTTPS
- Keep reader-friendly URLs
For web page descriptions:
For images and videos:
After you’ve launched the landing page:
Choose the right domain name
First of all, the domain name must be easy-to-read and brandable.
Moreover, search engines look at the domain to understand what your site is about and to decide how to rank it. For this reason, keywords that are relevant to your game should appear somewhere in the URL.
For example: Your company name is WonderWorld, thus the domain for a game can be like wonderworldgames.com.
Set up the secure protocol HTTPS
Start using HTTPS because this protocol uses an SSL certificate to move data. It gives your users peace of mind when sharing potentially sensitive data on a website.
Moreover, at the Chrome browser’s alerting system looks more reliable for the user if the website uses HTTPS protocol:
Keep reader-friendly URLs
- Keep URLs short
A well-designed URL provides a reader-friendly link for humans and an easy-to-understand link for search engines. On the other side, do not use too many similar words in a URL to avoid a keyword stuffing if you.
- Use hyphens to separate words in URL
Google recommends using hyphens (-) instead of underscores (_) in your URLs.
- Use lowercase letters in URL
Search engines can decrypt from uppercase and lowercase letters in URLs, which can lead to duplicate URLs and loss of page rank.
Add a page title
The title and description mean that you can tell for a search engine exactly what you’re talking about to categorize and understand your web page. Also, the title appears in search engines and the Web browser’s title bar.
To add a page title, click the Settings icon on the top menu. Choose the SEO tab to enter a title text and click Save.
- The recommended format for the title is: Primary Keyword – Secondary Keyword | Brand
The primary keyword must be unique to that page in that there is only one page dedicated to that primary keyword.
For example: Mobile endless runner – Wild Fastest Animals | WonderWorld
- Use only one Title Tag and one H1 Header on the web page
Include the page’s primary keyword in both tags. Each page title should be unique.
- Keep your title under 60 characters
It’s not a character limit, but you can take into account, that the title length in search results depends on the display width.
Add a page description
The page description provides a summary of a web page. Search engines such often display the page description in search results.
- Use your keywords at the beginning at the description
Note, search engines bold keywords in the description when they match search queries. You should match your descriptions to search terms as closely as possible.
- Keep your description under 160 characters
It’s not a technical limit, but you can take into account, that the description length depends on the display width, search engine and others.
- Don’t include double quotation marks
It’s recommended to remove all non-alphanumeric characters from descriptions to prevent removing the description from search results.
- Each page descriptions should be unique
Define a favicon to show in search results
Favicon is a visual representation of your website’s brand on browser tabs and in search results. That’s why the uploaded favicon leads to the brand recognition in search results.
To upload a favicon, click the Settings icon on the top menu. Choose the SEO tab to upload a favicon and click Save.
Recommended favicon parameters:
- Name: only use letters, numbers and hyphens (instead of underscores)
- Format: ico, bmp, png
- Size: 32x32 px
Structure your pages with headings
Search engines typically give headings a higher priority. Hence, use subheaders to break up sections: H2, H3 and so on till H6. So, you can use them to insert your primary keyword in H2 and other keywords in H3, etc.
- Use only one H1 tag per page
- Use different text in each headings, without duplicates
- Optimize your headings with keywords
Make your content skimmable
You can use Ptah pre-designed sections and elements to organize content:
- System requirements
- Icon with text
Social media links
Encourage people to share your content using your social media links. It’s important to have the optimized page’s URL, title and description because they are displayed in a sharing message.
To add social icons to any block hover, over the block and click the Add element icon at the top-left. Select the Social networks element, set up desired social icons and enter links in Settings Panel.
Moreover, Ptah supports the Open Graph tags, so you can tell social media networks like Facebook, Twitter and others what information to display whenever you or anyone else shares a link from your site.
To set up Open Graph tags, click the Settings icon on the top menu. Choose the Open Graph tab to enter data and click Save:
- Title - the title of your page.
- Description - a brief description of the content.
- Image - the URL of an image for the social snippet.
- Video - a video file for a social message (if any)
- Game URL - the URL of the content.
- Locale - defines the content language.
- Locale: Alternate - defines the second content language.
Optimize visual data
- Give your image and video resources readable file names and use keywords
- File names should only contain letters, numbers and hyphens (instead of underscores)
- Keep optimised image size
- Keep optimised video size
Verify your site with Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a free service that helps you manage your site’s presence in Google search results. Add and verify your site in Google Search Console.